The library is committed to making our services and facilities available and to all.
The Library is committed to providing an inclusive library environment so that all readers have complete and equitable access to the entire Library service.
Galway library has an independent learning unit solely intended for use by registered students with disabilities.
It contains a large range of equipment and software intended to make the academic challenge that bit easier for those with physical or other disabilities.
- Specialist software for those with visual, reading and motion difficulties
- Scanners to enable text enlargement and manipulation
- Equipment to help those with sensory disabilities
- 4 high spec PCs with cd/rw capability
- Aladdin Genie Pro personal reader
- Quicklink pen for scanning lines of text
- Large keys keyboard
- Roller Ball Plus Range trackball
- Roller Ball Plus Range Joystick
- Earpiece headsets
- Olympia Portable Magnifier
- Intelikeys keyboard
- Kurtzweil 1000: an advanced scanning and reading solution for the blind and visually impaired
- Kurtzweil 3000: this is the leading writing and reading solution for individuals of all ages with learning difficulties like dyslexia, attention deficit disorder (ADD) and other literacy difficulties
- TextHelp Read and Write: this product will read aloud as you type or read any document. It works with word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and the Internet
- Zoomtext: this is adaptive software that integrates multiple technologies to achieve a total low-vision solution. It combines a fully integrated magnifier (which can be adapted to suit the level of low vision) with speech output, designed specifically for the low-vision computer user
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Dictation Software: Dictation software which allows users to speak naturally and works with all PC applications
- Microsoft Office suite of products