Rules & Regulations
In order to maintain a safe and welcoming environment for reading, learning and all other Library activities, GMIT Libraries require all users to comply with the following Rules and Regulations:
- Silence must be observed at all times.
- Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. A €5 on the spot fine will be imposed for breach of this rule.
- Eating and drinking (except for bottled water) are prohibited in the library.
- Chewing gum is strictly prohibited.
- Seats may be reserved for fifteen minutes only by leaving a note stating time of departure. Any place left unattended for longer may be cleared by Library staff for use by another reader. The library is not responsible for any property left unattended.
- Readers should check their bags and folders if they have been left unattended.
- Readers should not attempt to leave the library with an item that has not been checked into their account. Activation of the library security system will impose a €5 fine.
- Any instance of theft or willful damage to library resources, equipment or furniture will be referred to the GMIT Disciplinary Committee. Anyone found defacing a book will be fined €25 and must also pay the cost of replacement.
- Books being taken out of the Library must be shown to staff if requested.
- The Librarian may for good cause, and subject to appeal to the Library Committee, suspend any person from use of the library.
- Fire exits must be kept clear at all times.
- Readers must vacate the Library and the building immediately by the nearest emergency exit when asked to do so because of an emergency or the threat of fire. The instructions of Fire Marshals must be followed.