Borrowing & Renewing
All you need to know about borrowing items from the library.
All GMIT students and staff automatically become members of their campus libraries. Your college ID card is also your library membership card. You will need your card for both the Issue desk and the Self Service Unit, located on the Galway campus.
- Students can borrow 5 items at a time
- Book loans can be renewed online at library.gmit.ie
- Books and other library material may be borrowed for two weeks and renewed for a further two week if not required by another user
- Theses, maps and heavily used material are kept at the information desk and may be borrowed for up to 3 hours from Desk Reserve
- Journals and Reference books can only be used in the library
What happens if my books are overdue?
Fines are charged on overdue items.
- 20c per day for books and dvds. 50c per hour for Desk Reserve items.
- Students with overdue items on their accounts will be blocked from accessing exam results online. Final year students will be blocked from graduating.
Reserving items that are out on loan
Items that are out on loan can be reserved on the library website or by completing a reservation request card at the Information Desk.
Borrowing items from other GMIT campus libraries
Items that are held in other GMIT libraries (Mayo, CCAM and Letterfrack) can be borrowed. Reserve them on the library website or by completing a reservation request card at the Information Desk.
Items that are not held in GMIT Libraries can be obtained by using our Document Supply Service. The cost for students is €4 to €8 per item. Loans from other IT Libraries are free of charge. For more information and to submit an online document supply request go to: library.gmit.ie